Friday 10 November 2017

OUR DAILY BREAD*



* No Robert, this isn't a religious post. My apologies to you and the holy seagull.

I've got a Breville breadmaker which I use about 3 times a week.



It's about the best kitchen appliance we own and gets lots of use.
I used to use the Edmonds bread mix packs which are very good.


I mostly made bread from the mixed grain but occasionally used the white bread mix for a change.
I've never had a problem with these but felt that I needed a change.

I discovered the Bin Inn bread mixes recently.





These are really good and with a bit of experimentation I'm making some great bread.



Bin Inn have a Pumpernickel mix which I've made a couple of loaves from. This darker, slightly sweet and heavy rye bread is perfect for having with soups and stews and just right toasted for breakfast with stewed tomatoes. Yummy. 
Apparently the name means 'Farting Devil' which is amusing.





I also buy Bin Inn's wholemeal mix which I supplement with extra nuts and grains to bulk it up and make more interesting. The result is superb and perfect for toast and poached egg.



As I said, every now and then I make a good old white bread loaf. I use Edmonds mix for this but add a couple of tablespoons of milk and make it on the 'French Bread' setting on the machine. The result is lovely. Soft white centre with crunchy crust. Sometimes I add raisins, currents and peel for a fruity loaf.




*********************************


NOTE: Depending on the acceptance and popularity of this post I might create a FOOD CURMUDGEON blog to keep all you readers informed. Watch this space.