Saturday 3 September 2011

ROUGH AS GUTS


"Maybe I should take up landscape gardening" I said to the Old Girl as she was inspecting my latest handiwork - making some steps in the garden. After she had recovered from a severe bout of coughing she suggested that my skills lay elsewhere. Where I don't know as she didn't elaborate. I learnt my carpentry, landscaping, building, painting and other 'around the house' skills from my father. He had his own plastering business and had a good reputation doing great work around Wellington for many years. Like most tradesmen however when it came to doing things around his own house he was as rough as guts. Strange expression that. There is not much explanation as to its derivation except:
 Rough As Guts
Rough as guts is Australian and New Zealand slang for coarse, uncouth.
Found on http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/brow

I know that my steps are not pretty but they are practical.




6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

They are steps? Oh, yes, I see now. Just took a bit of imagination... a lot actually.

Anonymous said...

My Sue said "Oh Dear!".
But a man can see that they work!
WV "Perspir"

Bin Hire said...

What is the block of bricks for?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

That 'block of bricks' I'll have you know is the elaborate step system I created to get up to the garden from the lower path. I carefully designed this before going to the paving centre to buy the blocks.

Anonymous said...

It's not are and it's not building. It's not steps. What the hell were you thinking old guy?
Akish The Philistine

My Spurt said...

A block of builders' bricks. Reminds me of the universe - well, in a random sort of a way.