Monday 13 June 2011

SLEEPLESS

Last night while watching television I started to nod off by about 9 and went to bed at 9.30. This is very early for me. I went to sleep and awoke at 11.30 and couldn't get back to sleep again. After a couple of hours of trying to drift off I got up and watched TV - until 5.30. Man, what a mixed bag there is showing. The Comedy channel defaults to tacky, cheap sex shows after 11.30; TV 2, TV3 and PRIME all show infomercials; the movie channels dredge up 'b' grade action films and rom-coms and only on 5 and Discovery channels could I find anything watch-able.

5 was showing Dexter. I had heard of this but had never watched it before. It is strangely riveting. It is watch-able because of the production values and good acting. It is disturbing given that the main character is a serial killer. He kills selectively - seemingly murdering and mutilating those who deserve it. I got that uncomfortable feeling where I liked it but felt that I shouldn't.


Discovery had a few good things, the best being a documentary of a young monk in Tibet. He was about 13 years old and, although dressed as a buddhist monk liked TV, going out at night to the movies and to the cafe with his friends. His 'master' an elderly monk complained that he was disobedient and would not make a good monk. The young guy complained that the old guy was always moaning about him and was a pain in the arse. What I like about this was that it demystified the religion and the setting. At the end of the day these are people just like us regardless of how they look and what they do.

1 comment:

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

I agreeabout the quality of TV available in the 'wee small hours'.

I normally sleep like a rock, albeit one that snores and farts, but the few times I've had trouble nodding off have been a real pain.
I prefer the internet at these times, especially TV on demand,it'smuch more flexible, and you can watch almost anything.
I hopeyou slept better last night.